Just Security is hiring a full-time editorial coordinator to help us in our mission to bring cutting-edge thinking on security, civil liberties, human rights and the rule of law to the national conversation.
Since 2013, Just Security has served as a vital resource for policymakers, lawmakers, legal professionals, journalists, and the general public on the most important challenges at the intersection of national security, human rights, civil liberties and international legal matters. In the last year, we have seen the rise of new threats to civil liberties, human rights, and rule-of-law values in the name of U.S. national security policies. Just Security has grown into a unique digital media outlet providing analysis in a timely, engaging, and accessible format.
The ideal candidate has a deep interest in U.S. national security law and policy, and online media. The candidate should be very excited about using digital media to elevate the national discussion around the issues we cover, which range from Russian interference in the 2016 election to the Trump administration’s domestic security policies to broad coverage of security related initiatives such as countering violent extremism, mass surveillance, targeted killings, the campaign against the Islamic State, and experiences of people impacted in foreign countries.
Just Security is a startup-like outlet with the backing of New York University and leading philanthropic foundations. We’re a small team with large ambition. Critical thinking and problem-solving skills along with a self-starting and a collegial attitude are crucial to success in this position.
The editorial coordinator will report to Just Security’s managing editor and will be an employee of NYU School of Law. Salary is competitive, and the position comes with a generous vacation and benefits package.
- Tracking daily and weekly news for developments relevant to Just Security’s readership, and working with other editorial staff to come up with article ideas for Just Security’s editors and guest authors.
- Working with editorial staff to prepare articles for publication on a daily basis.
- Producing social media content and recurring features of the site such as The Early Edition, The Pipeline, the week’s Congressional hearings, weekly recap posts, and featured articles.
- Monitoring the overall quality of the site and working with the editorial staff to rapidly address any issues that arise.
- Assist in tracking Just Security’s media placements, maintaining the internal editorial calendar, and other general tasks
- Working with the entire staff to produce events and special projects such as podcasts.
- The editorial coordinator may also have opportunities to publish their own work and is strongly encouraged to pitch ideas and proposals for articles and projects.
To apply, please send a cover letter, CV, and a writing sample to Brianne Cuff,
email@example.com, by August 19. Please write “editorial coordinator job” in the email subject line and tell us where you found this ad.