Just Security is seeking a full-time Communications Director located in either New York City or Washington, DC. Launched in 2013, Just Security is fast becoming a leading digital outlet for ideas that shape policy around law and national security issues. The Communications Director will have the exciting opportunity to strategically build media awareness around Just Security and develop partnerships with allied organizations to create, run, and host events.
The ideal candidate will posses two or more of the following; a deep familiarity with national security issues, an extensive list of contacts among the national security press, a successful record of pitching stories to national and international news outlets, and working relationships with Capitol Hill staff. The candidate should also be very comfortable with, and excited about, using social media to grow a digital brand.
Just Security is a startup-like outlet with the backing of New York University and leading philanthropic foundations. We’re a relatively small team so flexibility, a strong interest in national security, and a collegial yet entrepreneurial attitude are critical to success in this position.
The Communications Director will report directly to Just Security’s Managing Editor and will be an employee of NYU Law School. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience, with a generous vacation and benefits package.
To apply, send a resume, cover letter, names and contact information for three references, and a writing sample to: Audrey Watne at firstname.lastname@example.org by Nov. 24. Please use the subject line, Communications Director, in your email.
Primary Duties and Desired Skills
Press and Public Outreach
- Organize and facilitate media outreach and placement of Just Security authors and their work
- Help conceptualize and execute events
- Develop and maintain press lists
- Assist with developing, researching and executing marketing and outreach strategies
- Strategically identify opportunities in response to breaking news and in advance of media opportunities forthcoming in the news cycle
- Monitor television and radio news for opportunities to pitch contributing experts to national news programs. Build relationships with both radio and television bookers and producers
- Experience pitching reporters and developing and maintaining reporter relationships
- Experience placing op-eds and letters to the editor
- Communications experience with congress and other government institutions
Social Media/Web Management
- Work closely with Managing Editor to grow Just Security’s Facebook and Twitter presence
- Monitor web traffic statistics
- Help organize and maintain website as needed.
- Help recruit and manage interns;
- Help with incremental updates in website design and development;
- Experience with WordPress a plus.