We appreciate many things about 2017, especially our readers. Below are two Top 25 lists. The first includes the most popular pieces related to Russian interference in the 2016 election and the second list includes our coverage of all other topics minus Russia. These lists are generated using Google Analytics, based on page views. We look forward to providing continuing coverage of these and other topics in the national security space.
One note: many of our articles are now republished by our partners at The Atlantic, Newsweek, and Slate, or co-published with Foreign Policy. We do not include the number of times Just Security articles were viewed on our partners’ sites.
Top 25 Articles Related to the Russia Investigation
1. John Sipher, A Second Look at the Steele Dossier, Sept. 6, 2017.
2. Julian Sanchez, Tapping Trump?, Mar. 4, 2017.
3. Alex Whiting, Flynn’s Public Offer to Testify for Immunity Suggests He May Have Nothing to Say, Mar. 30, 2017.
4. Ryan Goodman, Evidence Mounts that White House Anticipates Damaging Results from Russia Investigation, Oct. 3, 2017.
5. Rolf Mowatt-Larssen and Ryan Goodman, The Media Is Not Asking the Right Questions on Trump Jr. Emails and Meeting with the “Russian Government Lawyer”, July 11, 2017.
6. Bob Bauer, Open Door to Moscow? New Facts in the Potential Criminal Case of Trump Campaign Coordination with Russia, July 10, 2017.
7. Ryan Goodman, Mueller Has Authority to Name President Trump as an “Unindicted Coconspirator”, Oct. 29, 2017.
8. Julian Sanchez, A Misplaced Focus on “Collusion”, May 12, 2017
9. Renato Mariotti, Former Federal Prosecutor Dissects Donald Trump Jr.’s Statement to Congress, Sept. 8, 2017.
10. Renato Mariotti, Method to the “Madness”: Dissecting Roger Stone’s Statement to Congress, by a Former Fed Prosecutor, Sept. 26, 2017.
11. Bob Bauer, Campaign Finance Law: When “Collusion” with a Foreign Government Becomes a Crime, June 2, 2017.
12. Renato Mariotti, A Former Federal Prosecutor Dissects Kushner’s Statement, July 25, 2017.
13. Ryan Goodman, Did Trump Campaign Collude with Russia to Defeat Republican Opponents in GOP Primary?, July 18, 2017.
14. Julian Sanchez, Some Obvious Thoughts About the Comey Firing, May 10, 2017.
15. Rolf Mowatt-Larssen, The Making of a Russian Spy: A Roadmap for the FBI to Resolve Russia Gate, June 19, 2017.
16. Ronald Deibert, The DHS/FBI Report on Russian Hacking was a Predictable Failure, Jan. 4, 2017.
17. Kate Brannen and Ryan Goodman, Major Takeaways from the Papadopoulos Bombshell, Oct. 30, 2017.
18. Marty Lederman, An Odd and (perhaps) Telling Omission in the Rosenstein Memo, May 10, 2017.
19. Kate Brannen, Connecting the Dots: Political Microtargeting and the Russia Investigation, May 19, 2017.
20. Asha Rangappa, What the FISA Warrants Against Paul Manafort Tell Us About Mueller’s Investigation, Sept. 23, 2017.
21. Ryan Goodman and Artin Afkhami, Turkey on Valentine’s Day: Did Trump Obstruct Investigation of Flynn as a Foreign Agent?, Nov. 17, 2017.
22. John Reed, Following the Money: Russia, Cyprus, and the Trump Team’s Odd Business Dealings, Mar. 30, 2017.
23. Renato Mariotti, Former Federal Prosecutor Dissects Trump Lawyer, Michael Cohen’s Statement to Senate, Sept. 20, 2017.
24. Steve Vladeck, The Three Sessions Succession Scenarios, July 25, 2017.
25. Ryan Goodman, The Other Bombshell in Flynn Story: Contacts during the campaign and Russian hacking, Feb. 10, 2017.
Top 25 Articles Not Related to the Russia Investigation
2. John Sipher, Sonic “Attacks” on US Diplomats in Cuba: Don’t Rush to Conclusions, Aug. 21, 2017.
3. Kate Brannen, Steve Bannon Is Making Sure There’s No White House Paper Trail, Says Intel Source, Jan. 30, 2017.
4. David Cole, We’ll See You in Court: Why Trump’s Executive Order on Refugees Violates the Establishment Clause, Jan. 28, 2017.
5. Steve Vladeck, The Airport Travel Ban Cases: What Happened, and What’s Next?, Jan. 30, 2017.
6. Oona Hathaway and Sarah Weiner, Dissenting from Within the Trump Administration, Jan. 17, 2017.
7. Marty Lederman, Why the Strikes against Syria Probably Violate the U.N. Charter and (therefore) the U.S. Constitution, Apr. 6, 2017.
8. Marty Lederman, (Apparent) Administration Justifications for Legality of Strikes Against Syria, Apr. 8, 2017.
9. Ryan Goodman, 11 Top Constitutional Law Experts React to White House Stephen Miller’s Rejection of “Judicial Supremacy”, Feb. 15, 2017.
10. Kate Brannen and Luke Hartig, Disrupting the White House: Peter Thiel’s Influence is Shaping the National Security Council, Feb. 8, 2017.
11. Ryan Goodman and Alex Whiting, Smoking Gun Videos Emerge: US Citizen, Libyan Warlord Haftar Ordering War Crimes, Sept. 19, 2017.
12. Ryan Goodman, What Do Top Legal Experts Say About the Syria Strikes?, Apr. 7, 2017.
13. Asha Rangappa, It Ain’t Easy Getting a FISA Warrant: I Was an FBI Agent and Should Know, Mar. 6, 2017.
14. Marty Lederman, Sally Yates Did the Right Thing, Jan. 31, 2017.
15. Asaf Lubin, A New Era of Mass Surveillance is Emerging Across Europe, Jan. 30, 2017.
16. Michael Fuchs, Is the State Department Being Intentionally Gutted?, Feb. 28, 2017.
17. Steve Vladeck, President Trump’s Careless Rhetoric, Unlawful Command Influence, and the Bergdahl Court-Martial, Apr. 5, 2017.
18. Kate Brannen, Mixing Politics with Business: A Master List of Trump’s Conflicts of Interest, June 30, 2017.
19. Adam Cox, Why a Muslim Ban is Likely to be Held Unconstitutional: The Myth of Unconstrained Immigration Power, Jan. 30, 2017.
21. Harold Hongju Koh, Not Illegal: But Now The Hard Part Begins, Apr. 7, 2017.
22. John Hursh, Army Chief is Fired in South Sudan: A Turning Point for Peace?, June 1, 2017.
23. Kate Brannen, Dan De Luce and Paul McLeary, Exclusive: White House Officials Push For Widening War in Syria Over Pentagon Objections, June 16, 2017.
24. Ned Price, What A Foreign Intelligence Analysis of President Trump Would Look Like, Aug. 8, 2017.
25. Ryan Goodman, 9 Top First Amendment Experts React to White House Press Briefing Ban on CNN, NYT, Others, Feb. 27, 2017.
Photo credit: Melissa Bender