Just Security is Hiring – Senior Editor/Managing Editor
Just Security is seeking a full-time or near full-time Senior Editor/Managing Editor to work with us in our mission of spurring cutting-edge thinking on national and international security, civil liberties, human rights and the rule of law.
Since 2013, Just Security has served as a vital resource at the intersection of national security, human rights, civil liberties, and international law and policy. Just Security has grown into a unique digital media outlet providing analysis in a timely, engaging, and accessible format to educate civil society experts, government officials, the news media, and the general public about today’s threats to free, democratic, and open societies.
The Senior Editor/Managing Editor will solicit and edit articles to ensure comprehensive and accurate coverage and rigorous analysis of events and developments; help oversee workflow and editorial standards; potentially write for Just Security on areas within their expertise; and liaise with Just Security’s editorial board and its growing network of expert authors. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Applicants should have professional experience with national or international security law and/or policy; exceptional editing and writing skills; and a record of collaborative teamwork. Project management or coordination experience is a plus.
The position’s effective start date is envisioned for fall 2021 but is flexible. We have a preference for the editor to work in our offices at New York University School of Law in New York City, but are also open to remote work arrangements.
To apply, send a CV and brief cover letter to: Brianne Cuffe at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in the subject line: “Just Security Senior Editor 2021,” and tell us where you found this notice.
- J.D. or master’s degree (or equivalent work experience) or higher in political science, government or public policy, journalism, international relations, or related field.
- Approximately 5 or more years of professional experience in law, journalism, or a related field.
- Demonstrated interest in national security law and/or policy, international law, constitutional law, or human rights.
- Experience and/or strong interest in editing academic or professional writing.
- Exceptional editorial skills, including exacting attention to detail and accuracy.
- The ability to work collaboratively and build strong working relationships with staff, the editorial board, and contributors.
- Familiarity and aptitude with common content management systems and social media platforms.
Working with the Just Security senior staff and editorial board to:
- recruit high-level/expert guest authors
- edit articles written by contributors
- write articles within one or more demonstrated area(s) of expertise
- track daily news for developments relevant to Just Security’s readership, work with other editorial team members to develop and coordinate coverage, oversee workflow and editorial standards, and broaden distribution of articles
NYU is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its recruitment and hiring process without regard to age, alienage, caregiver status, childbirth, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, domestic violence victim status, ethnicity, familial status, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital status, military status, national origin, parental status, partnership status, predisposing genetic characteristics, pregnancy, race, religion, reproductive health decision making, sex, sexual orientation, unemployment status, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.