Just Security is hiring a full-time Associate Editor to help us in our mission bring cutting-edge thinking on national security law, civil liberties, human rights, and the rule of law to the national conversation.
The Associate Editor is a two-year term position for an aspiring lawyer seeking to jumpstart a career in the national security law field. This position will involve extensive legal research, writing, and editing, as well as organizing Just Security’s New York- and Washington, D.C.-based conferences. The position will be responsible for three major activities and will include other duties as assigned: (1) Writing and researching original national security law content and editing submissions from lawyers and legal academics; (2) Legal research, writing, and editorial work in support of projects undertaken by Just Security staff and editors; and (3) helping plan and coordinate Just Security conferences and other special projects, such as podcasts.
WORKING TITLE: Associate Editor
JOB TITLE: Legal Writing and Research Professional
SALARY RANGE: Commensurate with experience
TERM: Two-year fixed term (10/2/17-10/18/19) with possibility of extension
END OF POSTING: August 19, 2017
Since 2013, Just Security has served as a vital resource for policymakers, lawmakers, legal professionals, and journalists working on the most important challenges at the intersection of national security law, human rights, civil liberties, and international legal matters. In the last year, we have seen the rise of new threats to civil liberties, human rights, and rule-of-law values in the name of U.S. national security policies. Just Security has grown into a unique digital media outlet providing legal analysis in a timely, engaging, and accessible format vital to educating lawyers and legal academics, civil society experts, government officials, the news media, and the general-public about today’s threats to free and open societies. The ideal candidate has a deep interest in U.S. national security law and policy, public international law, and online media. The candidate should be very excited about using digital media to elevate the national discussion around the legal issues we cover, ranging from Russian interference in the 2016 election to the Trump administration’s domestic security policies that impact civil liberties and human rights, to broad coverage of national security-related initiatives such as countering violent extremism, mass surveillance, targeted killings, the campaign against the Islamic State, and much more.
Just Security is a startup-like outlet with the backing of New York University and leading philanthropic foundations. We’re a small team with large ambition. Critical thinking and problem-solving skills along with a self-starting and a collegial attitude are crucial to success in this position.
- A J.D. from an accredited U.S. law school;
- An exceptional legal and non-legal academic background;
- Outstanding legal analytic, research, and writing skills;
- Excellent oral communication and advocacy skills;
- A passionate commitment to the public interest and passionate interest in national security law and public law generally;
- The ability to work effectively in a start-up, fast-paced, team environment;
- Publication experience, including law review journal experience, preferred but not required;
- Master’s degree in national security, international relations, or a related field, or equivalent work experience, is preferred but not required.
- Writing and researching original national security law content and editing national security law submissions from lawyers and legal academics.
- Undertaking legal research and writing in support of Just Security editorial board members and staff.
- Tracking daily and weekly news for developments relevant to Just Security’s readership and, based on this, working with other editorial staff to come up with article ideas for Just Security’s editors and guest authors.
- Working with editorial staff to prepare articles for publication on a daily basis.
- Pursuing Freedom of Information Act requests where applicable to Just Security projects and articles.
- Producing social media content and recurring features of the site such as The Early Edition, The Pipeline, and the week’s congressional hearings, weekly recap posts, and featured articles.
- Monitoring the overall quality of the site and working with the editorial staff to rapidly address any issues that arise.
- Assisting in tracking Just Security‘s media placements, maintaining the internal editorial calendar, and other general tasks.
- Working with the entire staff to organize conferences and produce special projects such as podcasts covering legal affairs.
- The Associate Editor is strongly encouraged to pitch ideas and proposals for articles and related projects outside of the above duties.
The Associate Editor will report to Just Security’s Managing Editor, John Reed, and will be an employee of NYU School of Law. Salary is competitive, and the position comes with a generous vacation and benefits package.